Monday 16 April 2012

Sanaig Rocks Walk

Jim and I set off from Sanaigmore today for a wonderful walk up Sanaig rocks, to Traigh Bhan and back to the road. Traigh Bhan is where 108 of the 241 victims of the Exmouth disaster were buried in 1847 so it is quite a poignant, as well as a tranquil spot.

Oh what joy to see my first Green Hairstreak of the year - at first I thought I'd mistaken it for a leaf, but no there it was, holding its own in the strongish wind near the summit of the rocks. Later Jim saw his first ever adder - a male, curled up basking in the sun right next to the road. By the time I'd recovered from the excitement of seeing the adder, he had slithered calmly away before I'd got my camera out! To top it all (literally), a Golden Eagle flew right over our heads.

We also saw this tiny green jumping beetle which I'm hoping Crystal can identify. It was difficult to take a good photo as it was so tiny and I put my hand deliberately there for scale.

How fortunate we are to live on this wonderful island where the mighty and the mites dwell in (relative) harmony.
Green Hairstreak

Oh dear, the picture's worse than I thought!

Birds: Raven, Lapwing, Golden Eagle, Starling, Sand Martin, Wren, Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Oystercatcher, Chough, Ringed Plover, Shag, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Herring Gull, Hooded Crow, Kestrel, Curlew, Pied Wagtail
Becky

1 comment:

  1. What is that? Where it can be located? I like to see more of the pics.



    Exmouth tours

    ReplyDelete